Professional Reader

Wednesday 9 November 2016

Book review: What the Clock Knows - Rumer Haven

I wasn't sure what to expect when I picked this up, it was sold to me as paranormal "fiction for weirdos", well, who could say no to that. But that I think was an undue description. I'd descride it more as contemporary fiction with a paranormal twist. Here is the blurb from the book so you can make up your own mind:

Twenty-six-year-old Margot sets out on a journey of self-discovery - she dumps her New York boyfriend, quits her Chicago job, and crashes at her friend's flat in London.

Rather than find herself, though, she only feels more lost. An unsettling energy affects her from the moment she enters the old Victorian residence, and she spirals into depression. Frightened and questioning her perceptions, she gradually suspects her dark emotions belong to Charlotte instead.

Who is Charlotte? The name on a local gravestone could relate to Margot's dreams and the grey woman weeping at the window.

Finding a ghost isn't what she had in mind when she went 'soul searching', but somehow Margot's future may depend on Charlotte's past.

Woven between 21st-century and Victorian London, What the Clocks Know is a haunting story of love and identity.

My thoughts:
I read this during a difficult time at home so it took me longer than perhaps it should have. It was an easy read and one that ordinarily I'd have flown through. The main character was likeable, even if i couldn't relate to her decision to move to another country. However, we've all been in the situation where we've been alone, and paranoid and Margot's real life reaction to the events happening around her is why I'd describe this as a contemporary novel. It's a novel I'll recommend and it's a novel I'll be keeping on my kindle.

Pick up your copy here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/What-Clocks-Know-Rumer-Haven-ebook/dp/B01C8PQHAQ//?tag=371-21#immersive-view_1478719429734

No comments:

Post a Comment