Professional Reader

Thursday 4 August 2016

Book Review: Harry Potter and the Cursed Child - JK Rowling, John Tiffany & Jack Thorne

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child


Wow! This really was excellent!
I'm currently sitting in a que on line, waiting for the opportunity to buy tickets to see the stage show. I have a wait of over an hour in front of me. So, why not write up my review while I wait?
First off, I loved it. I loved having a brand new Harry Potter story to read. It took me right back to my childhood of dressing up in my homemade cloak (Ravenclaw if you're interested) at midnight outside the relevant book shop. (This time bought on the motorway from a service station...) 
Now here comes the but... I couldn't help but notice the MAJOR plot hole. And it disappointed me. That being said, this is the rehearsal script. The one the actors used to rehearse the play.This is not the final script that has ended up on stage, and so I hope this has been addressed.
Moving away from the story for a minute, it's worth talking about the format. Over the years we've been treated to novels, text books, childrens stories, and information about the characters from JK Rowling on Pottermore, so we don't necessarily expect the same format every time a new publication is released. This is new again. This is a stage script. There is little in it other than dialogue. And if you haven't read many scripts in the past, it will take you time to get into it. I have read many scripts over the years, but even i struggled with this. Most scripts tend to have longer scenes, in few sets. This is because on the stage, set and costume changes take time and can interrupt the flow of the story telling. This was filled with lots of short scenes in many differed sets. So I can only assume that the setting will be very minimalist. I'll have to wait and see.
All that being said. I really did enjoy the new story. And I can't wait to see the show. 
-still  24974 people in the que to buy tickets before me...

-EDIT: I didn't get tckets

No comments:

Post a Comment