Professional Reader

Friday 2 September 2016

Interview with John Bowen

John is a successful self published author with sales over forty thousand novels in under three years.

I read my first book of his when it was chosen by my book club in July 2015 and I've been a fan ever since. John has written on a few different genres and each I've read has been written with skill and a control over the readers emotions as expertly as his skill over the keyboard. 

So, to kick things of and to warm up, John, what's the first thing that comes to mind when I say… 

Pyramid… Scheme.

Blue… Skies.

Teleportation… Thanks Scotty.

Moist… Cake? Yes, that is my final answer. 

Favourite film… Tough could be a different answer every day, but today? Little Miss Sunshine?

Sleeping in… Pff! The chance would be a fine thing. From around 6 am my cat knocks things of my bedside table like a goon squeezing me for protection money until I get up and feed her.

Now we are fully warmed up on with the real questions, how did it feel to find yourself in the top 100 on Amazons bestsellers list for your first novel?
Seeing it next to one of Stephen King's was very exciting. You dream of thousands of people reading your books, but you never expect it to happen.

And then to find your second book doing so well…
Just as much of a surprise. If I'm honest, every novel feels like a moonshot. Doing something different with each time, hopping genre, means I can never assume readers will be will follow me on the journey. I'm grateful many seemed to.

If you went back to Where the Dead Walk now would you change anything?
Maybe. I think looking back it's always possible you'll see things you could have done differently. Although, I'm quite a slow writer compared to many. My books spend a long time in the oven. It's one of the benefits of being fully independent. A novel comes out when I think it's as good as I can make it, not to meet a publisher deadline. That affords me time to reflect on what's there, and hold it if I think more work would mean a better story. Usually by the time the book is released it will have gone through multiple drafts and edits. At some point, though, you have to accept you did your best and let go.

Can you tell us anything about your next book?
It's called Death Stalks Kettle Street, another thriller, although this time a murder mystery.
It's set on an ordinary suburban street. Someone is murdering Greg Unsworth's neighbours and staging the deaths to look like accidents. Greg knows the truth, but when he's grappling with OCD and simply closing his front door, turning off a tap and crossing the road are a battle, how exactly is he supposed to catch a serial killer?

I'm really pleased with how it came out. I hope readers will like it too.

If you weren't writing, how would you make your fortune?
I'd probably be ruined. The only thing I seem to be good at is making up imaginary people and having them do imaginary things!

And what advice do you have for aspiring authors?
Trust in yourself and your work. To a large extent the old gate keepers of traditional publishing have lost their stranglehold on readers. There's almost nothing to keep you from reaching people these days if you're committed.

When not writing what is your favourite pass time or holiday destination?
I'm a big fiction nut, videogames, novels, films, TV series... The last few years the writing has kind of swallowed up most of my free time, but I finished the final draft of the new book a few weeks ago, just before our summer holiday in Greece. I did almost nothing but read, guilt free, by the pool. Sheer heaven.

What PG word makes you laugh?
Weiner.

What's the most embarrassing thing that's ever happened to you?
Maybe not the most embarrassing, but back in school I did once ask my biology teacher in a full classroom if she would tell me what the definition of an orgasm was, when I meant organism...

Do you have a pet peeve?
Rudeness or intolerance of any flavour. Come on people!

And what's your lucky number?
Seven. Good old lucky seven.

I'm currently watching Thomas The Tank Engine with my daughter, what's your favourite kids cartoon?
My daughter was into Gravity Falls last year. I could watch that anytime. Adventure Time is pretty great too.

And finally, what piece of advice do you have for our readers?
Look behind the front row of produce at the supermarket. The dates will often be further out on the items at the back of the shelf. Oh, and in the winter? Don't eat the yellow snow...

Thank you John, I can't wait for your new book. 


Thanks Lou. 

For More information on John check out his website at: https://johnbowenauthor.wordpress.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment